It's easy to get cabin fever here. The weather is gorgeous, and the vegetation as well - why would we want to stay inside?
On Sunday we wanted to find a park where we could spend our afternoon, so we threw our bacci ball set and a few spare sheets of paper in the car and set out for Stanford Hills Park. What were the sheets of paper for you might ask? THIS:
Paper airplanes. Duh. I ranked this particular model a 10 on appearance, but only a 3 on performance. As they say, "don't judge a plane by it's cool circular shape."
Walt seems to be a master-craftsman when it comes to the construction of these babies. Why was I surprised? He's good at everything.
I was seriously in awe when I watched this one fly. He could make it do 360's, land gently while circling to the left or right, and glide for miles (or yards - but it seemed like forever). Every landing was perfect though. I couldn't believe it.
and this is how mine ended up... yikes.
For our 4th, we packed our styrofoam cooler, thew on our patriotic duds, and headed back to the same park for a picnic and games (aka Smashball). Oh, and watermelon too. No 4th is complete without it!
Max said that he could beat the smashball record single-handedly (meaning his self being the only player - WAY EASIER), so he started bouncing the ball on his paddle. Of course I wouldn't allow this form of cheating (the record could only be beat if two players were involved), so I started chasing him around the field until he messed up. Bad wife, I know. Fortunately for Walt, I'm out of shape, and could only chase him for 30 seconds. I fell on the ground, and he got 400. BUGH!
After that escapade, we put our heads together and created a new game: Smashketball. It's awesome. A mix between smashball and baseball (nothing to do with basketball), and if you hit the pitcher you get three points. Really, it was a blast.
This park is at the top of my "Fav Parks List" for a few reasons.
1. Hardly anybody is ever there
2. The one time there was somebody, it was a 96 year old man named Wes. I thought he was maybe 75 tops. We saw him both days. He's our friend.
3. People walk their dogs around this park, and I get to dream about how I wish one of them was mine. Weird, I know.
No comments:
Post a Comment