Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Monkey Madness



While we were in Chaing Rai, we took quite the tour of northern Thailand.

We started off by visiting this Black Temple, built to oppose the White Temple (pictures later). It was just about the creepiest thing I have ever experienced. All I could think the entire time was that I was going to be the next human sacrifice. It didn't help that we were the ONLY ones there. Limited options.


Then we headed off to the Monkey Temple. This was our favorite stop of the day. In fact, we enjoyed it so much that we went back the next day. These monkeys were hilarious! "Cheeky" was the word that Max used to describe them. He said it at least 500 times during that hour. They would take the food right from our hands, and jump for it when we held it in the air. Luckily, there were locals carrying bamboo sticks around everywhere for when the monkeys got out of hand. The little tricksters would pretend to go for the one peanut in our hands, and then when we were distracted with that, another one would come up from behind us and knock the basket out of our hands! CHEEKY!

Also at the Monkey Temple, there was... ... ... well, a temple! Big surprise eh? This particular temple was inside of a cave, so we hiked up to take a look. The scenery was gorgeous.

As was said earlier, the monkeys were the best part of the day. We felt like the rest of it was kind of a waste, but we saw the country, and our new little tailed friends made it worth it. Max wants one for a pet now.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, you guys have officially done and seen the coooooooolest things EVER!!! Seriously, AMAZING! But I agree, I think your animal encounters have topped the charts. Max, your elephant smooching face will forever live in happiness in my heart. Thank you friends. Can't wait until you get home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonas and I agree that these monkeys are Adonis's lost keen. Anyway you can bring us one? Hahaha
    And I loooove jackfruit! So sweet! So milky! So hard to swallow! Yum!
    Pri

    ReplyDelete