HI.
Daphne Jean Young
01.09.14
8:13 PM
7 lb 10 oz
19 inches long
Here's the WHOLE story... (get comfy - this is for posterity's sake)
My due date: January 16
My first baby: 6 days late
My thoughts about this baby coming early: DEFINITELY NOT
so... I scheduled an induction: January 13
This baby came: January 9
Definitely a surprise.
I didn't go into labor with Eva. Never felt a contraction. So clearly I didn't know what to expect as far as "going into labor" was concerned this time around.
When I woke up at 3:30 AM with some crazy intense back pain and immediately jumped in the shower for an hour (yes, an hour), I figured something was probably going on. So I made Max google "back labor" and read to me word for word every web page that came up while I stood in the piping hot water. Regardless, I fell back asleep after my nice hot shower and figured if I was really in labor I would know.
In the morning I was still feeling some things going on here and there, and decided that before I started timing these "contractions," I had better get my house organized and bags packed just in case it was the real thing. So I frantically cleaned my house and made a list of food that Eva likes to eat and then gave the doc a call just to let him know what was going on. Before I knew it Max was home from work and we were on our way to the doctor's office with bags in the car just in case we needed to go to the hospital. Both of us were thinking we'd be sent home (so it was no big deal that I left my wallet and all forms of identification at home...duh). But we were wrong. Doc said I was dilated to a 5 and 80% effaced, so to the hospital I went at 1 in the afternoon.
I got checked in and hooked up while Max dropped off Eva to our friends, the Ryan's (who I will forever owe my life to).
When he got back to the hospital the events took place as follows:
-hooked me up to some pitocin to get my contractions regulated
-played 3 rounds of Lost Cities. I won.
-got my epidural
-read half a chapter in my new book
-Doc broke my water
-took a little nap
-woke up dilated at a 9
-nurse called in the Doc
-pushed for a whopping 15 minutes
-and out came our little Daphne - face up and ready to see the world
I'm still not sure who was crying the hardest between the three of us.
Everything about this delivery/hospital stay/recovery just seemed to go a lot smoother. I didn't have too many complaints about my delivery with Eva, but this one was even better -- infinitely better. Both my body and mind knew what was coming this time around, and everything just kind of snapped into action right when it needed to. In all honesty, I genuinely enjoyed my time at the hospital - from check-in to check-out. And I think Max would say the same. I mean, he didn't even complain about the bed. Whatta trooper. He was the perfect supporter.
My blessed mother flew in the next morning to see her new grand-daughter and to relieve the Ryan's of their Eva-duty. Of course Eva was thrilled to see her Gigi, and for the next week that my mom stayed with us, I was convinced that Eva would never acknowledge me as her mother again. I will be forever grateful for a mother who served me the way that mine did (and does). A full week of grandparenting, cooking, cleaning, gardening, entertaining, chatting, etc etc etc... She's a saint. She made my adjustment to life with two kids much easier than it should have ever been.
Eva's reaction to her new sister was one for the books -- one of my favorite memories of all time. Squeals, screams and insanely high pitched laughter was they only thing that filled our ears for a solid 15 minutes after we got home. She was so excited to see her "baby Daffee sisser," and she let all of us know it. I'm just hoping this excitement never wears off, because I could get nice and comfy and sit back and watch these two little sisters love on each other forever after.
It's hard to believe that two weeks have already passed.
Time flies a little faster now that I've got a baby in both arms.













I love your cute babies and I love your cute black&pink sweater:) congrats!
ReplyDeleteHow is it that you look exactly the same before and after giving birth??? And you look stunning a day later sitting in a hospital bed? Does not make sense.
ReplyDeleteSo glad she is here and all went well. Gorgeous family Meg!